Wednesday 15th June 2022
YouTube Live: 6:00 – 7:30pm
In-person Event (including reception): 5:30 – 8:30pm (Royal Society, 7 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5AG)
The Foundation for Science and Technology will be hosting an event on new nuclear and the UK energy strategy.
In April 2022, the UK Government published an Energy Security Strategy, mapping out a transition to low carbon energy sources. A key element of that is a commitment to a major expansion in civil nuclear power – to 24GW by 2050, representing 25% of projected electricity demand.
In this event, we will explore the challenges to achieve this target, the opportunities from both small and large nuclear reactors, and the issue of treatment and storage of radioactive waste.
- Julia Pyke, Sizewell C Director of Financing and Economic Regulation, EDF
- Sophie Macfarlane-Smith, Head of Customer Engagement, Rolls Royce SMR Ltd
- Karen Wheeler CBE, Deputy CEO and Major Capital Programmes Director, Nuclear Waste Services
- Professor Paul Monks, Chief Scientific Adviser, Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
Chaired by the Rt Hon Lord (David) Willetts, Chairman of the Foundation for Science and Technology
Participating in person
The event will be held in the Royal Society, 7 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AG.
The schedule for those attending in person is:
- 5:30 – 6:00: Networking – coffee and tea available
- 6:00 – 7:30: Discussion event with speaker presentations and a Q&A panel session with the speakers forming a panel. The Chair will take questions from both the online and in-person audiences
- 7:30 – 8:30: Canapé reception
- 8:30: Evening ends
The event and reception are free, and we very much hope that you can join us.
To register to attend in person, please click here.
The schedule for those participating online is:
6:00 – 7:30 pm Discussion event streamed on YouTube with speaker presentations and a Q&A panel session with the speakers forming a panel. The Chair will take questions from both the online and in-person audiences. Questions will be taken via Slido.
To register for the online session, and for further details click here.
If you have any trouble registering for this event, please contact us on [email protected].
If you are interested in sponsoring this event, please contact [email protected].