WANO Press Release 31.10.12
The World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) has elected Jacques Regaldo, formerly Operating Senior Vice-President of the Generation and Engineering Division at EDF Group, as Chairman of the Board. The appointment was made at the organisation’s Board meeting in Tokyo, Japan on 31 October 2012.
Jacques Regaldo will replace Laurent Stricker on 1 March 2013. Mr Stricker was elected Chairman in January 2009 and re-elected for a second term in July 2010.
Jacques Regaldo said:
“I am honoured to have been elected Chairman of the World Association of Nuclear Operators. The nuclear industry has come a long way since Fukushima, but we must never lose focus of our mission to maximise the safety and reliability of nuclear power plants worldwide. As Chairman, one of my first priorities will be the implementation of the decisions taken at WANO’s 2011 BGM in Shenzhen. The nuclear community is only as strong as its weakest links, and it is only by working together, with a common discipline and unfailing commitment of each and every one of us in implementing our decisions and our plans for improvement, that we will be able to achieve long-lasting, far-reaching progress.”
Laurent Stricker said:
“I welcome Jacques Regaldo as the new Chairman of WANO’s Governing Board. Mr Regaldo’s experience and expertise will provide valuable insights and direction for both WANO and the nuclear industry as it strives to improve nuclear safety worldwide. I am confident that the new chairman will work to implement the decisions unanimously approved in Shenzhen, China with the aim to develop a stronger WANO.”
Jacques Regaldo is available for interview on Tuesday, 6 November 2012.
For further information, contact:
Claire Newell, WANO Communications Manager
Jacques Regaldo has worked at Electricité de France (EDF) for 32 years, where since 2007 he has acted as Operating Senior Vice-President for the Generation and Engineering Division of EDF Group. Mr Regaldo has held numerous positions within EDF including Senior Vice-President of the Employment Division of EDF Group, Executive Vice-President: Managing Director of the Fossil and Hydroelectric Generation Department of EDF S.A, Head of Human Resources of the Generation and Engineering Division, Site Vice-President of Cruas-Meysse and Golfech Nuclear Power Stations, Engineer in the EDF Nuclear Generation Inspection Team and Shift Technical Advisor (STA) at St Laurent des Eaux Nuclear Power Plant. Mr Regaldo holds an Engineering degree from Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées.
He is a member of the Board of the British Energy Nuclear Group and the Constellation Energy Nuclear Group (CENG), where he serves as the Chairman of the Safety and Operations Committee.
• WANO is a non-profit member association established in 1989 by the world’s nuclear power operators to exchange safety knowledge and operating experience amongst organisations operating commercial nuclear power reactors.
• WANO members operate some 440 nuclear units in more than 30 countries around the world.
• WANO works with members in pursuit of its mission: to maximise the safety and reliability of nuclear power plants worldwide by working together to assess, benchmark and improve performance through mutual support, exchange of information and emulation of best practices.
• WANO was modelled on the American organisation, INPO, which was formed after the Three Mile Island accident. INPO is a member of WANO and beyond that, the organisations work together to share programme resources and learnings.
• For more information on WANO, visit www.wano.info.
07952 545 355
07894 595 718
07894 595 717